Thursday, July 30, 2015

Review: Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews


Magic Breaks
(Kate Daniels #7)
Ilona Andrews
Release: July 29, 2014
Goodreads Amazon
No matter how much the paranormal politics of Atlanta change, one thing always remains the same: if there’s trouble, Kate Daniels will be in the middle of it…

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate’s connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe—especially those closest to Kate.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear…

Review:

I’m going to try my best to write this review with a minimum amount of gushing, but it will be hard. I absolutely loved this book! It was just every single thing I love about urban fantasy. Action packed with magic and magical creatures. It was funny, sad, and filled with romance. I didn't expect it to be the roller coaster of emotions that it was. I am going to attempt not to gush, but guys, it’s going to be hard.

Kate Daniels is an investigator by day, consort to the Beast Lord by night and magic user extraordinaire at every other available moment, at least she’s trying to be. Her merc status is in jeopardy as her company Cutting Edge is struggling, the pack is always in constant drama and her magic doesn’t seem to be progressing as quickly as she would like. Add to that the knowledge that her father undoubtedly knows of her existence and you have one stressed out Beast Lady.

Magic Breaks begins very much business as usual. Kate is on yet another ridiculous mission, and the pack has yet another problem that needs Curran’s attention. You don't get too far in to the book before everything goes to hell. I would probably call this one of the most action-packed books in the entire series. It just doesn’t stop or slow down. Our heroes are in constant danger and battle. They face impossible odds and still somehow keep swinging. I was on the edge of my seat the whole book. I needed to know what happened to everyone!

One of the things that this novel does beautifully is that it remind us about just how far Kate has come on her journey. Not, just magically or in her relationships, but also emotionally. Kate has fought for her life, killed, sacrificed, loved, and lost. She is not the same character we met in Magic Bites. She is braver, stronger, more skilled, and she has a lot more to lose. There's a lot of flashbacks/reminiscing in this book. We're reminded about how and why she met Curran, her merc past with Jim, and even easier days with Derek. These flashbacks/memories are important to Kate as a character and they make the way that she needs Curran even more beautiful in my eyes.

I love Kate and Curran’s relationship. Sure, all the getting together, cook for me in your underwear stuff was hilarious and fun, but as a couple they have a certain kind of magic. Kate and Curran are some of my favorite characters of all time! I absolutely love them together! I love that they understand that there the other has to resort to violence and they don't judge each other because of it. I love that they don’t shy from a fight and that they don’t back down. I love that they both know that the other would tear the world apart in search of them. I love their unwavering faith and loyalty to each other that they have in this installment. It was hard won and even harder fought, but they have reached a place of absolute trust that is startlingly beautiful. I also love that no matter how badass Kate is, she still needs Curran. That need is a strength not a weakness. And just as importantly, Curran needs her too.

In this book, we get to see magic work in new and wondrous ways and we get to really glimpse into the magical world outside of the norm and outside Atlanta. Basically, we get to see the world Kate has been preparing to face. She has been training her entire life in order to kill her father. The question has always been…is she powerful enough to defeat him? Well, I'm not going to tell you. You need to read the book.

I did not see anything in this book coming. Ilona Andrews blew the Kate Daniels world as we know it wide open. I have no idea what the ramifications the ending of this book will have on the series. Heck! I don't even have a clue about what will happen in the next book. A year and a reread later and I'm still blown away by this book. It is the perfect example of why I love urban fantasy. I need the next book and I need it now!


    

1 comment:

  1. I have been loving this series as well!! Kate and Curran are becoming one of my favorite couples. They just fit for each other. And its been fun seeing them work out certain challenges. Excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...