Thursday, January 28, 2016

Really Short Review: The Warrior Vampire by Kate Baxter


The Warrior Vampire
(Last True Vampire #2)
Kate Baxter
Release: December 1, 2015
Goodreads Amazon
The vampire was built for sin, every inch of him tight and bulky with corded muscle. A killer, that much was apparent, and she couldn't help but wonder if his appetite for violence would rival his appetites for other...things.

A WOMAN SEDUCED

Naya Morales is no ordinary mortal. Born with a shaman's power, she has devoted her life to tracking down stolen magic—and punishing those who take it. But one fateful night, she follows the alluring call of a sensual magic that is too glorious to be true—and finds herself face to face with a stunningly handsome thief who is too magnificent to resist...

A VAMPIRE ENSLAVED

From the moment he sees her, Ronan knows Naya is his mate. Driven by a deep, almost mystical connection, he aches for her body, hungers for her blood, and swears their souls are anchored together. Naya refuses to believe the words of a vampire—or risk the wrath of her tribe. But when she tries to make Ronan her prisoner, neither chains of silver nor fires of hell can help her escape the truth: she is the one who's been captured...
Review by Rose Red:

I'm going to be upfront and say that this book was way better than the first one. The plot wasn't as jumpy and everything just flowed better. Part of that may be because I'm more familiar with the world and the mythology, but I'm happy to report that there was no slightly confused Rose Red while reading this. I will say that this book starts slow. All the action doesn't really happen until the second half.

I still love the world in this series and it just got bigger in this book. I liked seeing the introduction of different forms of magic but it seemed that this book was less focused on the main conflict between the Vampires and the Sortiari. The whole plot of this book seemed to be a side quest that meandered from what was put forward in the last book. Not that I'm complaining, it just felt weird. I do wish that we could have learned more about Naya's magic and why it's just the women in her tribe that have it and not the men.

As for the characters, I liked them a lot. Ronan is a charmer and while he tends to be a tad bit possessive, it wasn't too over the top. I love that he's so loyal to his King as well. It was one of the qualities that drew me to him in the first book. Naya is a badass! Seriously! Like Ronan, I like an aggressive heroine who isn't afraid to be violent. And Naya is the "kickass and ask questions later" sort of heroine. I liked them together but the way they came together was kind of not believable. The author really relied on them being "tethered" to explain their connection/chemistry. In the end, I ship it but it wasn't all to convincing.

There is one thing I really didn't like in this book and it was done intentionally. Naya's tribe is very archaic and very much a patriarchal society. The women in the tribe have no rights and basically do everything the Elders say. It drove me crazy! I guess that means it was well done but I found it weird that the Elders were more possessive of Naya than Ronan was with the whole fated to be mated trope.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and read it one sitting. I liked the characters and I'm interested to see where everything is going. And that teaser for the next book has me intrigued! I want to know what's up with Jenner. If you're looking for a different paranormal read, I'd recommend picking this series up.

Recommended for fans of: Larissa Ione's Demonica series and Lyndsay Sands' Argeneau Vampire series.

An ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley.


   1/2
  3.5 / 5 Stars

My reviews of other books in this series:
The Last True Vampire by Kate Baxter


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...