Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Review: The Red Lily by Juliette Cross


The Red Lily
(Vampire Blood #2)
Juliette Cross
Release: June 19, 2017
Goodreads Amazon
When Red falls for the Big Bad Vampire...

The Black Lily resistance needs a larger army if they are to defeat the vampire monarchy. In order to do so, former lieutenant and traitor to the vampire Crown, Nikolai must seek help from the red-hooded temptress he needs to avoid at all costs. The secret he carries could prove dangerous for her if she gets too close...even though keeping her close—very close—is the only thing on his mind.

Sienna will do anything for the Black Lily, and when Nikolai asks for her assistance to gain the trust of the commonwealth, it's the last thing she wants to do. The thought of leaving her woods and her wolves behind is terrifying...not to mention the danger being with Nikolai poses.

Review:
What could make fairy tale retellings even better? Vampires, of course! I really enjoyed the first book in this series and I will admit that I wasn't sure that Little Red Riding Hood was going to be better than Cinderella. I'm glad I was proven wrong! I loved this book even more than I did The Black Lily!

I was interested in Nikolai from the moment he appeared to help Marius in the first book but I became intrigued by his love interest, Sienna, even more. It's kind of hard not to be when a beautiful red-headed woman appears on the page riding a giant wolf. I'm so glad that their story ended up being the second book in this series. Nikolai was delightfully charismatic, a bit broody, and very tenderhearted while still being lethal. Sienna was equal parts fierce and innocent. I loved learning more about them and their back stories. And their chemistry was fantastic! I'm totally on board for their romance! I ship them hard.

I loved seeing the world and the cast expand to deal with the sanguine furorem epidemic. I'm especially excited for the next book which will be about a certain Duke of the North. :) But, as much as I loved the new characters and the worldbuilding, it took a long time for anything to happen in regards to both the rebellion and Sienna and Nikolai finally succumbing to their attraction for one another. I would have preferred more story and less mooning. But I will say that when the story hit its stride, it exploded out of the gate. Plot twist after plot twist happened and things didn't slow down until it was over. And OMG! what an ending! I will admit that I didn't see that coming and there were tears on my part.

Like in the first book, Juliette Cross had some very unique interpretations of the lore normally surrounding fairy tales and vampires that genuinely has me excited for future books in the series. I'm absolutely fascinated by what seems to be the set up for a Sleeping Beauty retelling and maybe a Beauty and the Beast one in the future! Next on the fairy tale docket is Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and I can't wait to see what the author does with it!

   
  4 / 5 Stars



My reviews of other books in this series:
The Black Lily by Juliette Cross 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...